I plan on teaching children in the 1st or 2nd grade. I would like to specialize in Math or Social Studies if I am in a school that uses co-teaching. On the newsletter assignment, I used the following benchmark:
1 – H2.0.7 Identify the events or people celebrated during United States national holidays and why we celebrate them (e.g., Independence Day, Constitution Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day;
Presidents’ Day).
In my classroom, I would put the students into small groups, and then assign them each a holiday. I would then allow them to use their knowledge to "teach" their fellow students. I think kids that age love to teach other children, and according to the learning pyramid, children retain the most by teaching. We would then put our knowledge into a newsletter for the parents to enjoy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Brandie,
Your approach is appropriate for the age group with with you will work. Good job using word processing to provide your future students with a way to construct meaning. Great pictures! - CB
Your newsletter idea seems like a great way to incorporate technology into the classroom while still focusing the learning on Social Studies. Discussing key figures in history and the holidays that celebrate them will allow students to claim American history as their own and by using word processing they will be given an opportunity to learn more about the ever-growing world of technology as well. Had I been given an assignment like the one you described, I might have even enjoyed Social Studies in elementary school!
Hi, I think you did a great job on your first blog and your profile! I like your idea about putting young children in groups for projects. I agree with the theory that children like to teach other children and respect your comments.
Brandie,
I really like how you would let the students work on their own and use their own knowledge to create the news letter, that is very original.
AM.
Brandie,
I think you did a great job on your blog. You explained your teaching methods very well. I really like your idea about placeing your students in small groups and have them work on a news letter together.
Amanda
Brandie,
I think that the benchmark you selected was a fantastic choice. Not only are holidays something that will interest your students immensely, incorporating their history into a newsletter will allow them to learn a bit, too. Great idea!!
Brandie,
You did a great job of discussing the benchmark for grade level. Two thumbs up!
Melissa
* Brandie*
I think your way of using the newsletter approach will work very well with your students. Not only will it teach them the right tasks going by the benchmark indicators but they will enjoy themselves at the same time. It's a win win situation. Great Job! =)
Post a Comment