I plan to work with early elementary children, so I think the Databases and Spreadsheets can be used in a variety of ways. I think children are inquisitive, so I could have the children "interview" their parents/grandparents/etc. and compile the results. Then, we could make graphs and practice reading them. I could also have the kids earn points that they could spend, and use the Spreadsheet to keep track of it, sort of as a banking activity. It would teach the children about credits and debits. We could use the Databases to make comparison charts. For example, we could measure and weigh everyone in the class. Then, we could see if boys weigh more than girls, if they are taller, etc.
I think setting up the formulas needed to calculate the items on the Spreadsheet would be the biggest disadvantage. If items are not inputted correctly, the data will be incorrect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Brandie,
First, you have a very attractive blog - great job!
Good ideas on how to use DBs & SSs. - CB
Post a Comment